Doctor Frédéric Germain specialized in dietetics in Toulouse, will accompany and advise you in order to become fit again and to feel good in your body.
When dealing with excess weight, it is important to take matters into your own hands in order to lose extra kilos. The first step in order to not be careless about your health is to make an appointment with a doctor specialized in nutrition. Acting like a “nutrition coach”, he will offer you advice in his position of healthcare professional in order to help you reach your weight loss objective. Your doctor, through dialogue and his medical knowledge, will be able to diagnose an excess weight and to offer you a personalized follow-up according to the specificities of your gender, age, activity, etc.
The ABC of weight loss means above all a balanced diet. Quality and diversity are the keywords of a healthy diet. Learn to eat better by creating varied food menus low on calories. The gustative pleasure must not be altered; it is why it is important to indulge yourself without losing of sight the final objective: lose weight.
We will pay particular attention to the supermarket step. According to the menus defined by the doctor, you will scrupulously make your shopping list beforehand. The choice of food will determine the plates’ content therefore this crucial aspect should not be neglected.
Obviously we will favor fresh vegetables and fruit in order to avoid deficiencies and to stock up on vitamins. They are the keystones of a slimming diet, because they are low on calories.
Moreover, hydration is one of the keystones of a successful diet. Water consumption favors the elimination of waste matter and plays an important part in the body’s well-being. Water is the most important nutrient in the human body. You need to drink fluids regularly during the entire day. In case of hunger pangs, the fact of drinking a big glass of water allows to diminish the hunger sensation.
And then there is no secret: in order to lose weight, you need to move. Physical activity favors weight loss success. Not only that it tones up the body and it improves cardiac performance, but the practice of a regular physical activity will also allow to burn calories. Long activities are to be privileged against short and intense efforts. Swimming, jogging, biking and fast walking are excellent fat burners.
“All things come to him who waits”: you need to be patient all along the diet; the efforts will finally pay off. A diet is not a speed race; it is preferable to lose weight progressively then to give up to the sirens of drastic diets that make you regain weight as fast as you lost it. The most important thing is to stabilize the weight loss and to durably maintain a healthy lifestyle.
A lot of men and women are confronted with weight gain issues. Women are often more sensitive because they are generally more careful with the way they look than men are.
In a woman’s life, several factors can lead to a sudden weight gain. Before beginning to fight against these extra kilos, you need to understand the causes of excess weight in order to act accordingly. The role of the nutritionist and of the dietician is to determine the origin of the excess weight in order to provide his patient with an adapted solution.
In women, hormones role in weight gain is often neglected. Nonetheless, it is one of the major causes of women’s excess weight. The body is subject to a hormonal cycle: the arrival of menstruations, contraceptive changes, menopause, etc. All these hormonal variations can make a considerable difference. In this case, the menopause is a particularly difficult period because it often accompanied by weight gain. Moreover, women subject to hormone imbalance often suffer of excess weight.
Other factors such as contraceptives or pregnancy can impact the figure. Furthermore, certain contraceptive pills have both an influence on the hormonal cycle and on appetite.
Undeniably, pregnancy leads to weight gain and the coming baby modifies the body. Sometimes, women give in to a certain diet carelessness during their pregnancy and gain more kilos than they should. If it’s true that pregnancy weight varies considerably from one woman to another, it is nonetheless essential not to be careless from a nutritional point of view. Most of all, you should not hesitate to see your nutritionist during the pregnancy. He will help the patient to adopt a balanced diet while monitoring her weight gain.
Finally, in order to understand a sudden or increasing weight gain, we often need to look in our plates.
Diet plays a decisive role. Lunch breaks too short, stress, junk food, ready-made meals, all factors that are harmful for our diet. An unbalanced diet inevitably leads to weight gain. Without going to the opposite extreme with draconian diets, it is fundamental to eat well in order to stay physically and mentally fit. In this case, turning towards a dietician allows to rebalance your diet habits in order to get back in shape.
A change in lifestyle can also be at the origin of extra kilos. When stopping sports, there is a risk of weight gain linked to a decrease in the caloric expenditure. In order to compensate for this, it is essential to modulate the energy intake and to correlate it with energy expenditure. Regular practice of sports prevents fat storage and helps you to stay fit.
Other factors also have a physical impact on our body: professional failure, frustration or feelings of guilt can lead to an increase in appetite. Weight gain can thus be caused by psychological issues. In this particular case, psychotherapy can help to better control your urges and drives to eat frequently.
Sometimes the cause is genetic: the tendency to grow corpulent can be partially linked to heredity. Thus, for some persons it will be more difficult to lose weight than for others or they will have a tendency to put on weight.
Finally, successive express diets lead to weight cycling; what we call the yo-yo effect. Genuine enemies for the scales and for health, we are in the presence of drastic diets that translate by a dramatic weight loss that does not last.
Apart from its harmful effects on health, excess weight leads to unsightly physical signs like skin loosening or cellulite appearance, all women’s nightmare.
If some women are subject to weight gain more than others, it is nevertheless not a fatality. The role of the nutritionist doctor as healthcare professional is to help you retrieve an ideal weight durably thanks to adapted solutions.
Doctor Frédéric Germain, nutritionist doctor in Toulouse, holding an Inter-University Diploma in Nutrition will see you in his office for a personalized consultation.
Doctor Frédéric Germain in Toulouse holds an Inter-University Diploma in Nutrition. He presents the main lines of a balanced diet in order to eat better and to lose weight.
Certain foods need to be privileged during a diet. They help to lose weight; they prevent deficiencies and have a lot of benefits for health.
Recently, “nutraceuticals” invaded supermarkets’ displays. Neologism resulted from the mix between “nutrition” and “pharmaceutical”, the nutraceuticals are reach in nutrients. You can find industrial nutraceuticals issued from the food-processing industry such as, for example, foods enriched with Omega-3s or live yogurts. Nonetheless, we can also find a lot of natural nutraceuticals whose benefits for health have been proven scientifically: onion, cauliflower, tomatoes, soya beans, cranberry juice and honey are some of them.
In order to fight excess weight without suffering of sudden bouts of exhaustion, eat foods rich in vitamins, minerals (calcium, magnesium, etc.) and in trace elements (iron, iodine, etc.): broccolis, peppers, Brussels sprouts, melons, apricots, grapes, carrots, nuts, wheat germs, 0% yogurts, etc.
Furthermore, Omega-3s are strongly advised. They are naturally present in vegetal oils (nut oil, linseed oil, colza oil), in dry fruits and oily fish, such as salmon or mackerel. Widely used in the Mediterranean diet, they provide a feeling of satiety just after the meal.
In addition to their multiple benefits for health, most of these foods are genuine beauty partners well known for their antioxidant power: a miraculous solution against dull hair and to restore a peaches and cream complexion. Eating better, feeling good about yourself and regaining fitness; it is possible thanks to individual coaching.
The different diets advocate simple advice for a healthy life:
- Eat as varied as possible or make sure that all food groups are represented in your diet.
- Learn to eat less sugar, but also less salt, because salt increases the feeling of hunger.
- A low consumption of salt reduces the risks of cardiovascular events.
- Have 3 real meals a day and a snack in the afternoon, if possible.
- Have a real breakfast that must provide 20% of the daily calorie requirements.
- Have a lighter meal in the evening. It should represent less than 30% of the calories consumed during the day.
- Favor dietary fibers that reduce the appetite and help to control the amount of calories. It is recommended to eat 25 to 35 grams of fibers per day (3 fruits, 4 vegetables, 5 whole-grain cereals)
- Know how to choose your food. It is recommended to eat fish, minimum 2 to 3 times à week, raw and cooked vegetables at every meal. Meat or fish can be replaced by eggs or cheese at one meal. Proteins must represent the most important part in a meal because they satisfy the appetite the best and they provide stable energy. In order to lose weight without starving yourself, proteins should represent at least 20% of total calories.
- Eat at least 5 portions of fruit and vegetables (fresh, frozen or potted) a day. They are low in calories and filled with antioxidants, fibers and water and have a high capacity of satisfying the appetite.
- Also, eat dairy products at least 3 times a day in the form of milk, yogurt and cheese.
- Reduce quantities and only serve yourself once. Learn not to serve yourself several times.
- Drink enough water, meaning 1 to 1.5 liters of liquid a day under the form of water, herbal tea or vegetable broth.
- Limit alcoholic and sweet drinks that are rich in calories.
- Do regular physical activity. Even moderated physical activity helps burning the extra calories.
- In what concerns habits to get used to, it is recommended to: weigh yourself once a week using the same scales in the same conditions, avoid skipping meals, do nothing else during meals and take the time to chew. Indeed, chewing duration has an important role in digestion.
Eating slow and without stress allows to rediscover or discover food with a more intense pleasure and thus to consume smaller quantities, while sending the organism a satiety signal. In case of a slimming diet, it is important to inform your doctor of your desire to lose weight and of the diet chosen. Indeed, the doctor will prevent you from making certain errors and will help you with your diet by determining the number of calories to consume in order to avoid feeling hungry during the day. Satisfying your appetite means that the calorie requirements of each meal have been respected.
Food groups Recommendations
Vegetables and fruit:
- Eat at least one dark green and one orange vegetable a day.
- Favor vegetables and fruit cooked with little or no fat, sugar or salt.
- Favor vegetables and fruit to juices.
- Eat at least half of your cereal portions as whole grain cereals.
- Favor cereal products low in fat, sugar or salt.
Milk and dairy products:
- Drink mil every day (skimmed, 1% or 2% milk fat).
- Favor low fat dairy products to replace milk.
Meat and substitutes:
- Frequently use meat substitutes such as legumes and tofu.
- Eat at least two fish portions each week.
- Favor lean meats and substitutes cooked with little or no fat.